Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

there is no ship like friendship

It's funny. I started writing a long, long post about how homesick I've felt lately. It's been hot here lately. Hot and sunny. We've had incredibly long days with nothing but pure sunshine and it's been great. But it's brought back a lot of Texas nostalgia for me. So much so that I spent this whole morning reading online excerpts from D Magazine.
I've missed enchiladas from Mia's with my parent, walking their dog around Oak Lawn in the evening, smelling the street, the wavering heat steaming from the pavement, and ice cold, frozen margaritas with my best friend Leslie. I've missed warm evenings, short shorts, and the unmanageable, utterly exhausting heat.
It's funny and true, but you never really think you will miss your home town or that it's anything special until after you move away. 

So, here I was sitting in an arm chair, writing, and drinking coffee when there was a knock at the door.
And the post-lady was there with a package for ME! 
It was from Leslie (who will be visiting us in like two weeks!!!). I started shaking I was so excited! 
In the package was a ton of jolly rancher candies, sour gummi worms, really cute earrings, an awesome necklace, a long letter, and the best summer mix cd ever.
I have the greatest friend. She also managed the use the Dallas Morning News Puzzle Section as some padding for the package- I'm not sure if she is aware of my affinity for crossword puzzles but I am one happy person to have Texas news with me!

I met Leslie Spring 2007. We had the same class. This is also the same class that I met my husband in!  We sat next to each other but we didn't talk much. In Spring 2008 we had another class together and that was about the time that I started realizing that I was in love with my husband (who at the time was living in Sweden). Leslie and I sat next to each other again and I needed someone to talk to about my crazy love situation so we started talking about it. We had a group project together which meant we got to hang out a lot.
And a friendship was formed. I am so, so, so grateful for my friendship with Leslie. 
I don't have many friends (that sounds sad, but it's true). I am getting a lot more now, and I am so blessed and happy with these friendships.
I am so happy to have Leslie in my life and even though we are countries apart, we have kept in touch.
I am happy that she is coming to visit me. We are going to have a blast.

Friendships are a really good thing. 




































PS. You should check out Leslie's blog. She is an amazing writer and has great taste in music.

1 comment:

  1. ok, i just typed out something and i think it got deleted, grrr blogger! oh well.

    what i said was that you are SO SO SO sweet! i totally cried when i read this! i miss you so much, and i can't WAIT to see you in like THREE DAYS!!!!! i'm sorry it took me so long to send that message, but i'm glad that it arrived at a time when you needed it! as much as i complain about texas, i don't know how well i would do being so far away. love you!!!! you are a great writer and ALSO have great taste in music! eeeeee thursday!

    ReplyDelete