Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

the past three birthdays...

Yesterday was G's birthday and my third birthday to celebrate with him!  The first birthday we celebrated in Texas and he turned 24 (which is how old I will be this February...). Among other things, I made him chocolate covered strawberries.



















For the next year we were in Sweden. He wanted a camera and with the help of a few others he got the camera but I also wanted to get him something that would be a total surprise. Like all Swedes, G loves candy. So I got him 25 of his favorite candies.  (If you're counting, some of them are mixed in the bowl and on the cupcake tray).






















This year, I was obsessed with doing something with the number 26. But I couldn't think of anything creative, fun, or in the end- budget friendly.  But then I thought it'd be fun to go on a scavenger hunt all around the city. He got 26 clues. Each clue led to a place with a present that (more or less) corresponded to that place. The first clue led to the kitchen and was his cake, a home made Princesstårta. He then had to go to class so the second clue came right after that.
We went all around the city and it was a beautiful, beautiful day. I was so scared it was going to be rainy but Sweden surprised me and the weather was flawless.

















Some of the presents were silly/sweet homemade "coupons" (trying to be budget friendly...) but others were things like a nice sweater, beer making kit, an LP of The Smiths, running socks, etc etc.
I had a lot of fun putting together the scavenger, but it was a lot of work. It took several days to get everything in order, organized, and kept secret from G.















This homemade birthday banner was on of my favorite presents. The flags are from a fashion magazine and then I printed out "GRATTIS" (congratulations) on nice paper. Since we don't have a color printer I outlined each letter in red, glued them on the magazine flags, and then hung it all on a piece of brown twine.
I was in a bit of a hurry when I was making the flags so they are different sizes, but that's ok. 

When I was explaining to a friend what I had planned for G's birthday she exclaimed that it was "So American" to plan a big ordeal. Is it?  Maybe so. But I have fun planning and surprising.
And on that note, there is one more big surprise for G which is coming later this week....

No comments:

Post a Comment