Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

visions of grandeur

Yesterday was no good. But also very good. Don't you hate it when days are like that? Then it's impossible to like a day or not like the day. You can't declare the day as "bad" when it's also been good.
I had one final surprise planned for G's birthday; a football game that his parents and brother would surprise him at. Except the team cancelled the game the night before and suddenly I found myself sobbing about how "nothing ever goes right." And we all went to go see the new Wall Street movie instead. But then they didn't show previews at the movie and the guy two seats behind me kept kicking his chair and I could feel it like he was right behind me. And then we went to dinner but the waiter put the five of us at a table for four even though I made reservations for five.
But I also got to spend time with family, eating great sushi, drinking sake, and laughing. Which is ultimately beats the bad parts of the day.
And in just two days I'll be back in America and hanging out with my family. I'm excited.

I also got a surge of inspiration today. Maybe it was laying around all day reading but suddenly I am excited about the future and all of the many things I have planned. Maybe too many things, but that's never a terrible thing now is it?

As promised, but a day late, here is the cake I made.

















I had visions of grandeur when making this cake and it didn't come out exactly as planned. But it was still good. It's a vanilla and orange sponge cake. With a thin layer of fig jam. Covered in a vanilla and orange whip cream with roasted figs.

No comments:

Post a Comment