Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

an education




















I'm back in school. And at a real, for real college.
As you might know I've been studying Swedish for awhile now. It's been going ok.
I've been taking classes at a place called Folkuniversitetet and the classes have been great but expensive. I had a meeting with a career counselor a few weeks ago who told me about a program offered at Malmö Högskola called "Introduktionsutbildning."I was able to apply late to the course and had all of my high school and college transcripts sent over here and translated from my English grades to their Swedish equivalents.
Before I could be admitted to the class I had to take a test that said I had proficient Swedish to keep up with the class and I spent the days before the test cramming all of the Swedish I had ever learned into my brain. And it worked! I tricked them into thinking I was smart, I passed the test and was admitted in the class.

Introduktionsutbildning is a year long course that will give you: Swedish B, English A, and Civics A. These are the Swedish high school fundamentals that most foreign residents are missing when they apply to study in Sweden.
If you're lucky like me, you don't have to take the English courses or the tests for the Civics but you do have to attend the Civics lectures. This is because, according to my high school transcript, I already have English (of course) and Civics A.

Swedish B is considered to be the same level as what G (my native Swedish husband) has. So in a year I should be as good as G if not better. :)
After this I can continue on to other university studies (ones that are taught in Swedish) or I could probably score a decent job.
Did I mention that college is free here? So my classes are free. Not only am I getting a great education but it's for free. I am super excited about studying again and being back in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment