Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

reinvention: me and a coffee table

My to-do list today looked something like this:
-shower
-pick up bedroom
-vacuum all rooms
-pick up/organize living room
-make dinner
-wear clothes
-thank you notes
-edit essay
-write essay
-study
-pack

I thought it would be good for moral if I included some mundane items on the list (shower, wear clothes) so I would definitely have something to cross off. And it was!
Also, just so you know, what I mean by "wear clothes" is "don't wear pajamas all day" which is something I'm guilty of almost everyday. So double points there.

To put it lightly, I've been in a bit of a slump for awhile now and last night I had a big, big sob about everything. I don't know what it is about crying your eyes out but I always feel better afterwards. I mean, not immediately. But this morning I woke up still a bit down and just as time went on I started to feel more refreshed and I don't know, but "new" I guess. Does that make sense?
I remember when my dad died, my neighbor, who had just lost her husband a few months earlier, sent me a sweet card that said "tears of grief cleanse the face." And it's true. After all that sobbing it just feels like a big weight has been lifted.
So yeah, things feel better. I've done a lot on my To Do list which is inspiring and I have a big weekend ahead of me of studying and packing.

In the theme of reinvention and newness, I thought it would be a good time to post our "new" coffee table.  I wrote in this post about why I love/hate our old coffee table and in another post you can see a photo of it. It just never felt guest friendly and was a bit too high.
G is almost done with school and has recently finished his last big paper so there was no need for our old desk.

























The above desk is an IKEA hack. We bought a different desk (from blocket.se) with a light wood table top and then bought the dark wood table top and switched the two. It gave us a wider and more modern desk than the original one.
But since now we no longer needed a desk we sold the original desk and kept the dark table top. During our last trip to Stockholm we had bought some short hairpin legs so in less than 30 minutes we created...






















our new coffee table!!!
It's nothing fancy which is perfect. We didn't want anything we'd have to clean from smudges (glass) or would be damaged easily (teak). It's big, stylish, and the perfect height. I love that we used what we already had to recreate something completely different.

I think that last sentence there is a keeper, as in, it's something I need to remember for myself. It's never to late to change who you are or what you want to do and it usually works out for the better. At least this table did.

No comments:

Post a Comment