Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

five years ago

I've been thinking about what to write today. It's a big day.
Five years ago today my mom received a bone marrow transplant.
When I think about that, it kind of takes me aback.
Five years ago my mom was really, really sick. She was diagnosed with both Acute Myeloid Leukemia and Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Two types of a very terrible cancer.
It came as kind of a shock. All of a sudden.
For awhile she had been getting colds off and on but nothing too serious. And then she had a gynecologist appointment where they drew blood and noticed her blood count was very low. So they sent it off to have it tested.
I was at my freshmen college orientation when my mom was admitted to the hospital. My parents made the decision not tell me until the weekend was over. Paul (my step-father) picked me up from orientation.
I remember it being weird that Paul and not my mom was picking me up from orientation.
I remember him saying that he had some bad news to tell me. And my heart racing.
Paul was very brave to pick me up and tell me this news. He and my mom had only been married for a few months (three or four) so he and I were still getting to know each other.
We went to go see my mom straight away and it was so surreal. It still is.

What you might not know about me is that my father passed away when I was 11. So my mom has been the only parent I've really ever had. She has been my friend, my parent, my confident, and my role model. And suddenly she was sick. Really sick.

The time she spent in the hospital seems like one of those fuzzy flashbacks they have on tv shows. It's a time I don't really want to remember.
We are so grateful to God for my mom. For our family. For the strength that was given to us during that time. For the understanding, the care, the doctors, the compassion, and the motivation. It was not easy.

My mom has had five other friends diagnosed with leukemia and she is the only one who has survived.

You guys have no idea how grateful I am to God to my mom is alive. And healthy. She is an amazing, strong woman.

My Uncle was a perfect match for her to receive a bone marrow transplant. I am constantly amazed at science for letting things like bone marrow transplants be possible! The crazy thing is that my mom has my Uncle's DNA.

So today is definitely a day of celebration. My mom is alive and a survivor.

1 comment:

  1. i'm so glad she's well too! she's a brave lady, and so are you! i can't imagine what that must have been like.

    ReplyDelete